Conditional sentences (types 3 & mixed)
Each type of conditional sentence has a distinctive pattern of verb tenses, and its own meaning. What is the difference between type 3 conditional sentences and types 0, 1 and 2? Think about these examples:
My life is pretty dull if I don't tell lies. (0)
My life will be pretty dull if I don't tell lies. (1)
My life would be pretty dull if I didn't tell lies. (2)
My life would have been pretty dull if I hadn't told lies. (3)
Type 0: The speaker regularly tells lies.
Type 1: The speaker will probably tell lies in the future.
Type 2: The speaker regularly tells lies now, and is likely to tell lies in the future.
Type 3: The speaker has already told lies (and is saying how different life would have been if she hadn't told lies.)

Type 3 conditional sentences:
If + past perfect ... would / might / could have + past participle
This type of sentence looks back at the past and speculates about possibilities which didn't happen.
If I hadn't broken my leg, I would have gone on holiday with you.
Mixed conditional sentences:
If + past perfect ... would / could / might
This type of sentence, which is a mixture of a type 3 conditional sentence and a type 2 conditional sentence, links a completed past action with a present result.
If I hadn't broken my leg, I would go on holiday with you.
Use your imagination and finish these sentences with the appropriate present results. Attach your sentences to this post by clicking on the 'COMMENTS' link below.
1 If I hadn't learned to read, ... I wouldn't be able to enjoy novels.
2 If I'd won the lottery at the weekend, ...
3 If I'd saved all my money for the last year, ...
4 If I hadn't had such a good education, ...
5 If I'd been born into a very rich family, ...
6 If my mother hadn't met my father, ...
My life is pretty dull if I don't tell lies. (0)
My life will be pretty dull if I don't tell lies. (1)
My life would be pretty dull if I didn't tell lies. (2)
My life would have been pretty dull if I hadn't told lies. (3)
Type 0: The speaker regularly tells lies.
Type 1: The speaker will probably tell lies in the future.
Type 2: The speaker regularly tells lies now, and is likely to tell lies in the future.
Type 3: The speaker has already told lies (and is saying how different life would have been if she hadn't told lies.)

Type 3 conditional sentences:
If + past perfect ... would / might / could have + past participle
This type of sentence looks back at the past and speculates about possibilities which didn't happen.
If I hadn't broken my leg, I would have gone on holiday with you.
Mixed conditional sentences:
If + past perfect ... would / could / might
This type of sentence, which is a mixture of a type 3 conditional sentence and a type 2 conditional sentence, links a completed past action with a present result.
If I hadn't broken my leg, I would go on holiday with you.
Use your imagination and finish these sentences with the appropriate present results. Attach your sentences to this post by clicking on the 'COMMENTS' link below.
1 If I hadn't learned to read, ... I wouldn't be able to enjoy novels.
2 If I'd won the lottery at the weekend, ...
3 If I'd saved all my money for the last year, ...
4 If I hadn't had such a good education, ...
5 If I'd been born into a very rich family, ...
6 If my mother hadn't met my father, ...


4 Comments:
osama sh. says:
if i had won a lottery at the weekend, i wouldn't be working anymore!
if i hadn't had such a good eductation, i wouldn't have the chance to work a decent job.
if my mother hadn't met my father, the world would be missing a great person (me :) )
If I'd saved all my money for the last year,I would have a long vacation.
If I'd been born into a very rich family, I would have my own company.
Nesreen
Saif Alqaesy,
If I'd not learned to read, I wouldn't be able to enjoy newspaper.
If I'd won the lottery at the weekend, I would get married next year.
If I'd saved all my money for the last year, I would by a new laptop.
If I hadn't had such a good education, I would work as a taxi driver.
If I'd been born into a very family, I would study abroad.
If my mother hadn't met my father, I wouldn't be here.
If I'd won the lottery at the weekend, I would shop 'til I drop!!
If I hadn't had such a good education, I wouldn't be the person I am!!
If my mother hadn't met my father, my annoying siblings wouldn't be here to bug me!
WaEd.....
Post a Comment
<< Home