Applications 1
A letter of application is a written request for a job, a place at university, or a scholarship. Letters of application are often written in reply to advertisements. They are written in a formal style and contain relevant personal information about the applicant.
Look at the advertisement and read the letter of application. Do you think the applicant is likely to be successful? Post your reasons for your opinion by clicking on the 'COMMENTS' link below.

LETTER OF APPLICATION
Dear Sir or Madam
I have just seen your advertisement in the Jordan Times for au pairs in the USA and I would like to apply.
I am eighteen years old and will be leaving school in a few months’ time. I intend to continue my studies at university but have decided to take a year off between school and university. I have always wanted to visit the United States and this would be an ideal opportunity for me to learn about the American way of life.
I am a non-smoker and am taking my driving test next month, so I hope to have my licence soon. Although I have not got any experience of looking after very young children, I have a ten year-old brother and often baby-sit for my neighbours’ children, who are aged 4 and 6. I am very keen on sports. I am a good swimmer and also enjoy horse riding.
I hope that you will consider my application. I look forward to hearing from you.
Yours faithfully
Look closely at the structure of this letter. The purpose of paragraph 1 is to give the reason for writing. If you are writing in answer to an advertisement, it is usual to say where (and when) you saw the advertisement. Paragraphs 2 and 3 give relevant personal information in support of the application. Remember that you need to convince the target reader that you are the best person for the job. Paragraph 4 concludes the letter in a positive tone and looks to the future.
The letter is written in a formal style. Look at these examples of formal language (informal equivelents are in brackets):
I would like (want)
to continue my studies at university (to go to university)
I am a non-smoker (I don't smoke)
an ideal opportunity (fantastic)
Although ... (I haven't got any experience ... but I have)
The whole of paragraph 4
Look at the advertisement and read the letter of application. Do you think the applicant is likely to be successful? Post your reasons for your opinion by clicking on the 'COMMENTS' link below.

LETTER OF APPLICATION
Dear Sir or Madam
I have just seen your advertisement in the Jordan Times for au pairs in the USA and I would like to apply.
I am eighteen years old and will be leaving school in a few months’ time. I intend to continue my studies at university but have decided to take a year off between school and university. I have always wanted to visit the United States and this would be an ideal opportunity for me to learn about the American way of life.
I am a non-smoker and am taking my driving test next month, so I hope to have my licence soon. Although I have not got any experience of looking after very young children, I have a ten year-old brother and often baby-sit for my neighbours’ children, who are aged 4 and 6. I am very keen on sports. I am a good swimmer and also enjoy horse riding.
I hope that you will consider my application. I look forward to hearing from you.
Yours faithfully
Look closely at the structure of this letter. The purpose of paragraph 1 is to give the reason for writing. If you are writing in answer to an advertisement, it is usual to say where (and when) you saw the advertisement. Paragraphs 2 and 3 give relevant personal information in support of the application. Remember that you need to convince the target reader that you are the best person for the job. Paragraph 4 concludes the letter in a positive tone and looks to the future.
The letter is written in a formal style. Look at these examples of formal language (informal equivelents are in brackets):
I would like (want)
to continue my studies at university (to go to university)
I am a non-smoker (I don't smoke)
an ideal opportunity (fantastic)
Although ... (I haven't got any experience ... but I have)
The whole of paragraph 4


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home