Types of adverb/adverb phrase
There are six main types of adverb/adverb phrase:
1. Adverbs of manner describe how something is done:
quickly, badly, quietly, well, forwards, in a hurry
2. Adverbs of place describe where something is done:
abroad, upstairs, somewhere, on the table
3. Adverbs of time describe when something happens:
tomorrow, on Friday, now, for six months, a year later
4. Adverbs of frequency describe how often something happens:
never, hardly ever, sometimes, often
5. Adverbs of degree describe to what extent something is true:
quite, almost, very, rather, fairly
6. Adverbs of opinion express the speaker's viewpoint:
obviously, surprisingly, actually, amazingly
Position of adverbs in sentences:
1. Adverbs of manner, place and time are usually placed at the end of sentences:
I knew I'd left my glasses upstairs.
I got home late, so I opened the door quietly.
2. If two or three adverbs of manner, place and time are used in the same sentence, they are put in this order: manner-place-time
I waited patiently downstairs all afternoon.
3. Sometimes for emphasis adverbs of manner, place and time can start a sentence:
Tomorrow I'm going to the dentist's.
4. Adverbs of manner, place and time cannot be placed between the verb and its object. So you CANNOT say: I opened quietly the door.
5. Adverbs of frequency are used with simple verb tenses and are placed (1) before the verb, and (2) after the verb to be:
I always walk to work.
Wherever I go, I'm always late.
6. Some frequency adverbs can start a sentence for emphasis. The most common are: frequently, occasionally, sometimes, usually, (very/quite) often.
Sometimes I stay up all night.
7. Adverbs of degree are placed before the words they modify.
It's almost six o'clock.
The new James Bond film was quite interesting.
8. Adverbs expressing viewpoint are placed at the beginning of sentences.
Amazingly it didn't rain all weekend.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home